I am a gym rat. I love me some indoor workouts and classes, but by the weekend I am ready for a change and some fresh air. The hus and I made a pact to spend at least one day a week doing an activity outside of the gym.
After my epic mountain adventure I was looking for a hiking trail more local and much easier. The fall weather is holding out for a few more weeks and I am planning on taking full advantage. We found a perfect nearby trail and headed out for a hike. My favourite part about hiking is the way that the time flies. You look down at your watch and can’t believe that an hour goes by so quickly.
The trail we picked was littered with obstacles and rocks perfect for climbing all over. After the mountain I climbed last weekend, these rocks were easy to maneuver. God’s outdoor playground did not disappoint.
In addition to the fresh air and natural beauty, here are a few other reasons I encourage you all to get out and explore:
– Unplug. Nature is your chance to hop offline and detox from your Facebook newsfeed. Simply too much going on around you to have your face in a phone.
– Sharpen your senses. Whip out a map and plot your course. Nature heightens your awareness of everything around you.
– Your whole body will thank you. Hiking even a moderate course can leave you feeling tight or even a little sore the next day. It is an amazing all over workout as you trek both up and downhill. Your bum appreciates your effort.
Hiking Essentials — from peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, to hiking socks and shoes, let’s get you covered for the outdoors:
– Fitsugar “Take a Hike! (With These Fall Hiking Gear Essentials)” Outdoor bonus, a reason to shop. You need to look cute for those squirrels, right? :p
– Prevention “Make Hiking More Fun! What you do before hitting the trail makes all the difference between pleasure and pain.” A few moves in the gym or at home to get you ready and keep you in trail kicking condition.
Anyone up for a hike? What’s your favourite outdoor activity?