Did everyone have a lovely weekend? Hope so! The weekend’s travel took us to sunny, duck-friendly, Portland, Oregon. I love going new places! Andrew had visited the city a few years ago, which helped us navigate the town. I had no expectations, only knowing from others that the views, food and public transport were supposedly top-knotch. I welcomed the mild weather, as it has been triple digits in Atlanta. Friday night we hit the ground running and it felt like an out-of-body experience going from east coast to west coast time, but we were troopers.
Points about Portland:
– Stayed around the Pearl District, in the middle of everything.
– Had the best bagel I have ever had in my life at Kettleman Bagel Company. Surriously unreal nomnom.
– Had the best doughnut I have ever had in my life at the landmark Voo Doo Doughnut.
– The rose gardens in WA state park seemed to be inspired by Alice in Wonderland. Rows and rows of perfectly manicured petals.
– Our morning jog to the river led us to stumble upon the 23rd Annual Oregon Brewers Festival. Um, couldn’t have planned that better. We went back to spend the afternoon.
– My favorite beer was an Alaskan Pale. I think I could taste the crisp, cool Alaska water. Maui Brewing Co‘s Coconut Porter was a close second and hands-down the crowd favorite.
– Ground Kontrol Barcade meant I could play Ninja Turtles for .25 and drink beer with the hubs. Dr Mario in the house.
– City is very much California-esc, with rolling hills and palm trees.
– According to Andrew, “Best place you can go when the sun’s out.”
We traveled back Sunday and for the first time I can remember I napped and did nothing big. Ahhh.
Ready to knock out this last week in July (can you believe that?).
What’s one of your favorite hometown festivals to attend? What’s the best ever food you’ve had while on the road?